AREAS OF DIACONAL SERVICE
Bert N. Brosius, Pastor
Quakertown Bible Fellowship Church
1. The Bible provides for the office of Deacon
Phil. 1:1 - An office distinct from the office of elder
1 Tim. 3:8, 12 - A specific office
2. The Bible gives clear and definite qualifications for the office
1 Tim. 3:8-13 - Note on difference from Elder (v. 2 “able to teach”)
3. The Faith and Order provides for the office of Deacon.
F & O pg. 50, 57-58.
4. The basic meaning of the root word “serve or service.”
I. THE PURPOSE OF THE OFFICE
1. Serving God and the Body of Christ
2. Institution of the office Acts 6:1-4
a. Service to the needy widows
b. Ministry of Christian benevolence
II. THE MINISTRY OF SERVICE
1. Spiritual qualifications clearly described
a. 1 Tim. 3:8-13
b. Acts 6:3
2. A ministry distinct from other service in the church.
III. THE GENERAL DUTIES OF SERVICE
1. Ministry of serving contrasted to the ministry of ruling
2. Originated because of specific need Acts 6
a. Need to provide for widows
b. Apostles were busy in spiritual ministry
c. Men ordained to the ministry of service
3. Office established on the principle of seeking to help in service so that the spiritual ministry of oversight by the Apostles would not be hindered.
IV. THE SPECIFIC DUTIES OF SERVICE
1. PRINCIPLE - Involvement of spiritually gifted men in ministry of serving in order to aid those men charged with spiritual oversight.
2. APPRECIATION - Much work done by the Board of Elders could and should be done by Deacons.
a. A ministry of service - ordination - Acts 6: 6
"Ordination is the recognition of God given gifts and the impartation of authority to serve in the church. Ordination is signified by setting apart the individual by means of laying on of hands and prayer so that having demonstrated the rigid qualifications for the office, he may effectively serve."
b. Areas of Service
(1) Benevolence - Board working as a Committee of the Whole
(2) Building and Grounds
(8) Other responsibilities as assigned by the Board of Elders
c. Duties related to finance
(1) Deacons shall have authority to spend the money budgeted to their particular areas of responsibility
(2) Deacons shall submit a proposal to the Finance Committee for the amount to be budgeted each year to their particular areas of responsibilities.
Deacons are spiritually gifted men set apart by the congregation and ordained by the Elders to work under the direction of the Board of Elders in carrying out all the necessary ministries of service to the needs of the people and fulfilling the functions within the body of Christ in each local church and the church universal.
NOTE: Areas of responsibilities of Elders
1. Discipline - The Board working as a Committee of the Whole
2. Individual committees:
a. Pastoral Relations
b. Christian Ed
d. Worship & Service